Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get tax information on properties in the R.M. of Mervin?
Tax information on your own property can be obtained at any time from the R.M. office free of charge. If you are wanting to obtain tax information on property that you do not own, that is in someone else’s name, you need to obtain a Tax Certificate. A Tax Certificate is $25 payable to the R.M. of Mervin. The Tax Certificate includes any outstanding balance on the taxes, the current year’s levy if already levied for the year, if not last year’s levy as well as any possible outstanding liens that may be on the property. No information on another person’s taxes may be given out without a Tax Certificate being issued.

When can I expect my tax notice?
The tax notices are mailed anytime between August and September each year for the calendar year. If you do not receive your notice please notify us. Please ensure we have your up to date address. If you wish to have your Tax Notice emailed to you please fill out the Digital Communication Consent form and send it in to the RM of Mervin office or email to

Consent Form

How do I know if my residence is eligible for tax exemptions?
If you own, or rent farm land, the taxable assessment of this land may be used for exemptions on your residence. If you think you may be eligible call the R.M. office for details and to discuss. 
If your farmland has changed through purchases, sales or different rental arrangements make sure to notify the R.M. so we can make sure that your exemptions are updated.

When are taxes due?
Taxes are due on December 31st of each year. As of January 1st the current tax amount becomes arrears and a penalty of 1% is added to the outstanding taxes on the first of each month. The interest or discount rate applied to taxes is calculated on the date the payment is received in the office, not the date it was post-marked by.

Is there a discount for paying taxes early?
There is a discount on the municipal portion of taxes of 3% on any payment made before September 30th, 2% discount on payments made in October and 1% discount on payments made in November. This discount just applies to the municipal portion of your taxes, the Education Property Taxes do not offer a discount on their portion. As mentioned above, the discount rate applied is calculated on the date the payment is received in the office and not the date it was post-marked by.

What methods of payment are accepted?
We accept cash, cheque, online transactions and e-transfers. We are set up to accept online bank payments for taxes or utilities from the following banking institutes: Telpay, most Credit Unions, TD Bank, and Bank of Montreal. Credit unions also are set up to receive payments for invoices. We do accept post-dated cheques. We also now accept Debit payments and Credit Card payments (with credit card payments service charges are applied). 



What are the R.M. of Mervin’s Landfill hours?
                Summer Hours are in effect from April 1st– October long weekend, inclusively.
                Wednesdays 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
                Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
                Sundays 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
                Holiday Mondays (May-September ONLY) 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
                Winter Hours are in effect from after the October long weekend – March 31st    
                Wednesdays 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
                Sundays 11:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Where do I purchase tags for the transfer site?
Purchase of the new bright red tags can be made at the R.M. of Mervin office, the R.M. of Mervin transfer site, the Livelong post office as well as some of the Hamlets.  The old garbage tags will no longer be exchanged.

The bright red R.M. of Mervin tags are only accepted at the R.M. of Mervin Transfer site or with Hamlet Garbage pick-up. The Town of Turtleford Transfer site will not accept garbage tagged with the R.M. of Mervin tags.

 Where do I take my garbage and recycling?
The R.M. of Mervin’s Transfer Site is located on SE 34 52 20 W3 just south of Bright Sand Lake. There are recycle bins located in the Hamlet of Spruce Lake, Hamlet of Livelong, Village of Mervin, the Town of Turtleford Transfer Site.

 How to Recycle Tires?

At this time the R.M. of Mervin does not have a tire recycling program in place. The below link is information on where you would find a drop off spot and the rules regarding dropping off tires for recycling.

We will be sure to provide updates and further information when it becomes available.



When do I need a Development Permit?
A Development Permit is required when constructing, installing, adding on, moving in a building, or replacing any structure (i.e., building, deck, shed, etc.) onto your property.  Any construction for additional overnight accommodations (i.e., bunkhouses) requires a permit regardless of size.  The construction of residential and commercial development in all districts (including the Agriculture District) also requires the submission of a Development Permit. 

When do I not need a Development Permit?
When structures are under 99 sq. ft. a development permit is not required, unless it’s an accessory sleeping accommodations, then a permit is required.  The construction of agricultural-related structures (i.e., granaries, barns, etc.) do not require a permit, but the construction of a residential house or a commercial building in the Agriculture District does require a permit. 

How do I apply for a Development Permit?
Simply download the Development Permit Application from the Forms section on this website.  When submitting the permit, please include a site plan that shows the location of the structure, septic tank, and well, and also all dimensions, and distances to all property boundaries and existing buildings on the site.  If it’s a residential building, floor plans and a foundation plan is required.  If you’re moving in an existing building, pictures of all four sides of the building in its current state is required.  The Development Officer may also request additional information if needed.  The permit may take up to two (2) months to process depending on additional information requested, if it’s a discretionary use, or due to the time of year.  The permit is valid for one-year with the possibility of an extension, so applicants are encouraged to get their permit in early.

When do I need to abide by setback regulations?
Always.  Regardless of how you’re using your property, no obstructions of the setbacks will be tolerated by the RM of Mervin.  Even for developments that do not require the submission of a Development Permit Application, the minimum setbacks are still to be followed.  

Do I need a permit for a fence?
No, permits are not required for a fence, but each district has specific regulations regarding fences.  

What is a Real Property Surveyor’s Report (RPSR)?
A RPSR is a plan and report prepared in respect of a survey performed for the purpose of certifying the location of all visible permanent an accessory structures relative to the boundaries of the parcel of land, and shall be completed by a Saskatchewan Land Surveyor.  Open decks do not require the completion of an RPSR.  All other buildings and structures over 200 sq. ft. are required to submit a Survey Sketch Plan with the Application package and an RPSR to the RM office after the foundation has been laid, but prior to the construction or installation of the rest of the building.  

Can I subdivide my land?
When subdividing land, the developer must abide by both local municipal bylaws, and provincial regulations.  This process typically takes a minimum of six (6) to eight (8) months, and can extend longer depending on the complexity of the subdivision. 



How do I know if there’s a fire ban?
When the R.M. council declares there is a fire ban within the R.M., there will be signs posted within the R.M. & Hamlets, a notice will be placed on the local radio stations and it will also be posted on the R.M. of Mervin’s home page on our website. You may also contact the R.M. office if one of these other notifications is unavailable to you.

Who do I need to notify if I would like to burn a brush pile?
If you would like to burn a brush pile you must first double check that there is not a current fire ban on and that it is safe to do so. Before beginning burning notify Fire Dispatch at 1-866-404-4911 as well as the Fire Chief for your area, either Turtleford’s Brent Edwards at 639-844-7604 or St. Walburg’s Tyler Aldrich at 306-821-2402.


For Municipal Hail what are the deadlines I need to be aware of?
March 31st– Deadline to withdraw from Saskatchewan Municipal Hail
                April 30th – Deadline to have all exemptions submitted
                June 15th – Deadline to have all Crop reports submitted to the R.M. office
                June 30th– Deadline for new applicants to submit Crop reports

For Additional Municipal Hail insurance what are the deadlines I need to be aware of?
                August 1st – Deadline to apply for coverage